Featured

Featured

0 Two Catalan separatists in Spanish custody

Jordi Sánchez, who heads the Catalan National Assembly (ANC), and Jordi Cuixart, leader of Omnium Cultural, are being held without bail while they are under investigation for sedition.
The men are seen as leading figures in organising a 1 October independence vote, which Spanish courts suspended.
The government in Madrid branded the vote illegal.
  • Catalan crisis in 300 words
  • The man who wants to break up Spain
Following the referendum, Catalonia's regional head Carles Puigdemont signed a declaration of independence, but halted its implementation to allow negotiations.
He has called for talks to take place over the next two months.
However, the Spanish government has warned that Catalonia must revoke the declaration or face direct rule from Madrid.
Mr Puigdemont has also angered Madrid by refusing to clarify whether or not he declared independence last week.
Mr Puigdemont, who has been given until Thursday to clarify his position, hit out at the government on Twitter following news of Mr Sánchez and Mr Cuixart's detention.
"Spain jails Catalonia's civil society leaders for organising peaceful demonstrations. Sadly, we have political prisoners again," he wrote.
People gather to hear Catalan President Carles Puigdemont speak on October 10, 2017 in Barcelona
In a video recorded before his court appearance and released on his Twitter account after his detention, Mr Cuixart instructs separatists to "never lose hope because the people of Catalonia have earned their future".
He and Mr Sánchez have also been accused of encouraging protesters as they blocked officials from entering Catalonia's regional government offices on 20 and 21 September.
Pro-independence supporters have now called for further protests, demanding the men's release, reports the BBC's James Reynolds in Barcelona.
Just hours before the ruling, the High Court freed the head of Catalonia's police force, Josep Lluis Trapero.
His force, the Mossos d'Esquadra, is accused of failing to help Spain's Guardia Civil police tackle thousands of pro-independence protesters in Barcelona during the run-up to the referendum.
Prosecutors had called for him to be held in detention
[BBC SOURCES]
Read more

0 North Korea crisis: Tillerson says diplomacy will continue

It will continue until "the first bomb drops", he told CNN.
US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson in Washington, 13 October
Sanctions and diplomacy, he said, had brought unprecedented international unity against North Korea's nuclear weapons programme.
Last month, Mr Trump told Mr Tillerson not to waste time seeking talks with Kim Jong-un.
In Sunday's interview, Mr Tillerson again refused to comment on whether he had referred to Mr Trump as a moron.
"I'm not going to deal with that petty stuff," he replied, saying he would not dignify the question with an answer.
In recent months, North Korea has defied international opinion by conducting its sixth nuclear test and launching two missiles over Japan.
Analysts say the secretive communist state it is clearly set on developing a nuclear-capable missile, able to threaten the continental US, despite UN sanctions.

Lines of communication

At the end of last month, Mr Tillerson disclosed that the US was in "direct contact" with the North and looking at the possibility of talks.
After months of heated rhetoric, it came as a surprise to some that the two countries had lines of communication.
However, the next day Mr Trump tweeted Mr Tillerson to say: "Save your energy Rex, we'll do what has to be done!"
Mr Tillerson has not denied calling Mr Trump a moron after a July meeting at the Pentagon.
The president responded by challenging the secretary of state to an IQ test but a spokeswoman said later it had been a joke.
Read more

0 Somalia: At least 230 dead in Mogadishu blast

Hundreds more were wounded when a lorry packed with explosives detonated near the entrance of a hotel.
It is the deadliest terror attack in Somalia since the Islamist al-Shabab group launched its insurgency in 2007.
Image shows civilians evacuating from the scene of an explosion in the Hodan district of Mogadishu, Somalia on 14 October 2017
President Mohamed Abdullahi "Farmajo" Mohamed blamed the attack on them, calling it a "heinous act".
No group has yet said it was behind the bombing.
"Brothers, this cruel act was targeted at civilians who were going about their business," the president said.
He has declared three days of mourning for the victims of the blast.
Local media reported families gathering in the area on Sunday morning, looking for missing loved ones amid the ruins of one of the largest bombs ever to strike the city.
Police official Ibrahim Mohamed told AFP news agency the death toll was likely to rise. "There are more than 300 wounded, some of them seriously," he said.
Officials also confirmed that two people were killed in a second bomb attack in the Madina district of the city.
Mogadishu's Mayor Thabit Abdi called for unity while addressing a crowd of people who had gathered to protest.
"Oh, people of Mogadishu, Mogadishu shouldn't be a graveyard for burnt dead bodies," he said.
"Mogadishu is a place of respect, and if we remain united like we are today, moving ahead, we will surely defeat the enemy, Allah willing."
A BBC Somali reporter at the scene of the main blast said the Safari Hotel had collapsed, with people trapped under the rubble.
An eyewitness, local resident Muhidin Ali, told AFP it was "the biggest blast I have ever witnessed, it destroyed the whole area".
Meanwhile, the director of the Madina Hospital, Mohamed Yusuf Hassan, said he was shocked by the scale of the attack.
"Seventy-two wounded people were admitted to the hospital and 25 of them are in very serious condition. Others lost their hands and legs at the scene.
"What happened yesterday was incredible, I have never seen such a thing before, and countless people lost their lives. Corpses were burned beyond recognition."
The international community has been quick to condemn the attack:
  • African Union Commission's president Moussa Faki Mahamat said the body would continue supporting Somalia in efforts "to achieve sustainable peace and security"
  • Turkey said it would send planes with medical supplies, and fly wounded people to Turkey for treatment
  • In a statement, the US Mission to Somalia called it "cowardly" and said it reinvigorated US commitments to help African countries fight terrorism
  • UK Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said his thoughts were with victims' families and the government and people of Somalia. "Those responsible have shown no regard for human life or the suffering of the Somali people," he continued
  • UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres tweeted that he was "sickened" by the attacks and urged "unity in the face of terrorism and violent extremism"
  • French President Emmanuel Macron tweeted that France stands by Somalia's side
Read more

0 Sebastian Kurz: Austrian conservative set to become world's youngest leader

Mr Kurz is on course to become the world's youngest national leader.
The People's Party was set to win more than 31%. It is so far unclear whether the Social Democrats or the far-right Freedom Party will finish second.
Short of a majority, Mr Kurz's party could seek an alliance with the anti-immigration Freedom Party.
Addressing his supporters, Mr Kurz said: "It is time for change in this country. Today is a strong order for us, to change this country, and I say thank you to you all who made this possible.
A man walks past an election campaign billboard that shows Heinz-Christian Strache of the far-right Freedom Party
"I'm overwhelmed, I am happy, and I look forward to working for Austria."

Who is Sebastian Kurz?

Before the election, Mr Kurz served as Europe's youngest-ever foreign minister, after he was appointed in 2013 aged just 27.
In May 2017 he became the leader of the People's Party. He began his political career in the youth wing of the party, which he chaired before moving on to serve on Vienna's city council.
Nicknamed "Wunderwuzzi" (roughly translated - someone who can walk on water), he has been compared to the young leaders of France and Canada, Emmanuel Macron and Justin Trudeau.
Much like Mr Macron, Mr Kurz has created a movement around himself, rebranding the People's Party - which has been in power for more than 30 years - as "The New People's Party".

What were the main issues?

Immigration was the dominant issue in the run-up to the vote, and Mr Kurz moved his party to the right in the wake of Europe's 2015 refugee crisis.
He appealed to conservative and right-wing voters with pledges to shut down migrant routes to Europe, cap benefit payments to refugees, and bar immigrants from receiving benefits until they have lived in Austria for five years.
The rightward shift was seen as a response to the success of the Freedom Party, which narrowly missed out on the presidency in December when Norbert Hofer was defeated by Alexander Van der Bellen, head of the Greens.
The stance proved popular with Austrian voters after a huge influx of undocumented migrants and refugees from the Middle East and North Africa.
The Freedom Party accused Mr Kurz of stealing their policies. Their candidate, Heinz-Christian Strache, has called him an "imposter".
  • Parties clash in final TV debate
  • Austrian ban on veil comes into force
  • Austria's far right choose a flower with an ugly past

What next?

Mr Kurz is on course to win the lion's share of the vote but not a majority. If the forecasts are correct, he will need to form a coalition, most likely with the Freedom Party.
The last coalition between the Social Democrats and the conservatives fell apart this spring - and there may be reluctance to renew it. But an alliance with the populist, far-right Freedom Party could prove controversial among Austria's EU counterparts.
Mr Kurz refused to discuss his plans, saying only that he would talk to other parties. He says he wants to wait for final results.
Polls have put the Freedom Party at an all all-time high of 26.9%, suggesting that the European far-right is not dead after emphatic defeats in France and the Netherlands.
The relative success of the Freedom Party follows an electoral breakthrough by the far right in neighbouring Germany last month.

What about the opposition?

The current chancellor, Social Democrat leader Christian Kern, looks certain to lose his position after a campaign marred by several scandals, including allegations that his adviser led an online smear campaign against Mr Kurz.
Mr Kern said on Sunday he had no intention of standing down as leader, despite the party's loss. "I have said I will stay in politics for 10 years and there are nine years to go," he told broadcaster OBF.
After a tumultuous year with internal rifts, the pro-refugee Greens party is among several smaller parties uncertain of reaching the 4% threshold required to enter parliament.
[BBC SOURCES]
Read more

0 Harvey Weinstein: 'Business as usual' at Weinstein Co, brother insists

"Our banks, partners and shareholders are fully supportive of our company," he said in a statement. "Business is continuing as usual."
The company fired Harvey Weinstein on Sunday amid a slew of sexual harassment allegations.
The claims have prompted police investigations in both the US and UK.
On Friday, the scandal surrounding Weinstein - who produced films including Pulp Fiction, Shakespeare in Love and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - deepened when he was accused of rape by US actress Rose McGowan.
He was already facing claims of rape, sexual assault, groping and harassment.
Weinstein, who is believed to be in Europe seeking therapy, has insisted through a spokeswoman that any sexual contacts he had were consensual.
  • Harvey Weinstein: The accusers' stories
  • What it was like to work for Weinstein
  • How the scandal unfolded
Since the avalanche of claims began, the company has been trying to disassociate itself from its co-founder and save the business, reports say, with efforts made to buy Harvey Weinstein out, rebrand and keep creative partners on board.
But reports in the Los Angeles Times said that financers had begun to pressure the company to sell and potential buyers were circling.
The Wall Street Journal also reported the company was "exploring a sale or shutdown" and was "unlikely to continue as an independent entity".
Executive producer Bob Weinstein in 2011
The company is thought to be worth hundreds of millions of dollars but before the recent allegations had already faced questions about its future prospects amid increasing competition from media streaming services.
Investment bank Goldman Sachs said on Friday it was investigating options to sell the small stake it holds, citing the reported "inexcusable behaviour".
On Saturday, the organisers of the Oscars film awards will hold emergency talksamid speculation it could suspending Harvey Weinstein's membership. Bafta, the British Academy of Film and Television Arts, has already done so.
The New York Times broke the story on 5 October when it detailed decades of allegations of sexual harassment against Weinstein.
Since then police forces in the US and UK have launched investigations into sexual assault allegations against Weinstein:
  • The New York Police Department is looking into an allegation dating from 2004 and reviewing whether there are any additional complaints
  • London's Met Police has received an allegation of sexual assault in the London area in the 1980s [BBC SOURCES]
Read more

Delete this element to display blogger navbar

 
© K-mall | Design by Blog template in collaboration with Concert Tickets, and Menopause symptoms
Powered by Blogger